Tuesday 12 January 2021

The Xmas of broken bones and boilers

After last years Christmas, which was fab until Xmas day evening when the man flu (which I actually now think was covid, set it) I was really looking forward to it, especially to the mainly shit show of 2020.

We’d planned on Xmas day at home just the 2 of us (plus the guys of course), and then Boxing Day Hollie, Dave and the kids were coming for a party. Oh how plans changed so quickly for everyone, - no mixing of households except for Christmas Day. 

Then on Xmas Eve the temperature dropped and our boiler broke, I cried and went back to bed. Now if you’ve ever broken a bone or suffered with bone pain you’ll know that the cold and damp does fuck all to help. So late Xmas Eve it was decided that I would go and stay at Hollies in the warm and Arron would join us Xmas day for dinner. It actually turned out really lovely, I was able to pop and see my brother and kids and had a lovely day - and of course I didn’t have to lift a finger as I’m not allowed anywhere near the kitchen so I just sat and played with the kids and did a bit (a lot) of karaoke! 


Fast forward to 29th December, I was at home, upstairs, tidying and as I went to go down the stairs I slipped and fell top to bottom. Ouch. We live in an old Victorian terrace and the stairs are STEEP to say the least, we have a tiny tiny square hallway (if you can even call it that) so my fall was broken at the bottom with my legs stretched out slamming into the front door. I must have tried to grab the wall or something because I pulled my left shoulder and lymphedema arm too, just to really add salt to the wound.

I was screaming, the pain was incredible. After about an hour of Arron trying his best to help me, he somehow got me back up the stairs and into bed with a hot water bottle, some codeine and a sleeping tablet. The next day is a blur really, I couldn’t move, every bone from my waist down felt like glass, more embarrassment there was a few times that I just couldn’t get to the toilet in time. Thankfully my new heated blanket I got from my Mom for Xmas was shared - thank the bloody lord - I’d have been lost without it!!

New Years Eve I was due my bone injection, I arrived at the chemo department - Arron had to drive me, there was no way in hell I could drive - I can hardly sit down. One of the chemo nurses came out to the reception and I burst into tears, she basically said I looked horrendous (in the nicest possible way), she called A&E and off I went.





Brilliant. Happy New Year.

Few hours later along with some morphine and a couple of scans I was told that I’d fractured my coccyx. 

Honestly you couldn’t make this up. I’m so angry with myself. I’ve literally been housebound, well bed bound for a month, the only place I’m semi comfortable is in bed. I’m also now the proud owner of a fucking pressure cushion. To make things just that bit worse my feet now keep going numb and my bladder appears to be in spasm.

It would appear that this year is going to be just as shit as last year.

2021 can fuck off, I’m done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment